Move over Grandma, there’s a new meatloaf sheriff in town! Delicious juicy meatloaf with an addicting glaze. You would never guess that this is Paleo.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup blended chicharrones
- 2/3 cup blended simple mills crackers
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp ketchup, I used primal kitchen
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp worchestire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 large celery pieces, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or grated
The Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup ketchup, I used primal kitchen
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeds removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Grab a small blender and throw in 1/2 cup primal kitchen ketchup, 1 chipotle pepper (seeds removed and chopped), 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup coconut sugar, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, and 1 tsp yellow mustard. Blend this up until smooth then add to a small sauce pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. let this thicken for 5-6 minutes and once its a nice glaze texture, remove to a bowl and set aside.
Vegetable Mixture Steps:
- Get a 12 inch pan on medium high heat and add in 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Swirl the pan then throw the diced carrot, celery, and onion into the pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and sauté for 5 minutes. Drop heat to medium and add in 2 tbsp of butter. Once melted, add in the 3 grated garlic cloves and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Remove mixture to a bowl and let cool for 10-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start off by making the binding mixture by blending up some simple mills crackers until breading like texture. Do this until you have 2/3 cup. Now add the 2/3 cup blended simple mills crackers with 1/2 cup of almond milk in a small bowl. Mix up and let sit for 5 minutes. It turns into a paste that you will add into the meatloaf filling.
- Grab a large glass bowl and add in 2 lbs ground beef (room temp for 30 min), 1 lb ground pork (room temp for 30 min), the cooled sautéed vegetable mixture, 1/2 cup blended Chicharrones, the cracker paste, 2 beaten eggs, 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 tsp dijon mustard, 3 tbsp primal kitchen ketchup, 2 tsp coconut aminos, 1/2 tsp hot sauce, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp worchestire sauce (omit for 100% paleo).
- Mix up with your hands until you get everything nice and combined. Make sure you don’t overmix since that could make the meatloaf tough. Now grab a big roasting tray or baking dish with some tinfoil down and form the mixture into a log shape. Spoon over half of the sauce mixture on top of the meatloaf and use a brush to ensure every bit is covered. Bake at 350 on the middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove meatloaf after 30 minutes and add some more of the sauce leaving a bit to spoon on top of the slices. Bake for another 30-40 minutes until the internal temp is 160 degrees.
- Let this cool for 10-20 minutes then cut into thick slices and enjoy.
- Bonus step. Let the meatloaf cool completely in the fridge then sear the pieces in a cast iron pan with some avocado oil and butter for a few minutes on each side. It gives it a nice little crisp all over the piece and its insanely good! Give it a try or heat up the leftovers this way!