Chicken stuffed with delicious Swiss cheese and Ham. Rolled in a paleo breading mixture then pan fried to crispy perfection. Served with a tasty Dijon Cream Sauce. Need I say more?
Chicken Cordon Bleu Ingredients
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 package sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 package ham of your choice, I used Applegate
- 2 cups ground up pork rinds, I like 4505 brand
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- toothpicks to hold the chicken together
Creamy Mustard Sauce Ingredients
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup unsweetened almond cream, I used nut pods
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup chicken bone broth
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cassava flour
- 2 tsp chicken base, I used better than bouillon
Chicken Cordon Bleu Steps
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start off by cutting the tenderloins off the chicken breasts. Then butterfly the chicken breasts and cut in half. Pro tip: you could also just buy the thin cut chicken breasts and pound those out if need be. Now cover with plastic wrap and pound out thin. We aren’t using the tenderloins for this so you could use those for a salad or chicken fingers.
- Now season the chicken breast pieces with salt and pepper each side. Fold a piece of ham and add it lengthwise. Cut a piece of Swiss cheese in half then half again and add those pieces to the middle. Roll the chicken and ensure the ham and cheese are fully stuffed inside. Stick with 2 toothpicks through the middle to hold them together. Reference above pictures.
- Build your breading station by adding the 1/2 cup potato starch to a plate. Add the 2 cups pork breading to a plate and whisk the 2 eggs in a shallow bowl. Now roll the Chicken one at a time in the potato starch shaking off the excess. Dip in the egg both sides then roll in the pork breading so that it has a nice layer. Add to a tray and set aside.
- Grab a 12 inch non stick pan and get it on medium high heat. Once hot, add in 2 tbsp Avocado oil and 1/2 tbsp butter and let melt. Add your Chicken, working in batches so that you don’t overcrowd the pan. Pan fry for 2 minutes each side then remove. Add more oil and butter as you do the next batch. Put the pan fried chicken pieces in a glass baking dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- Let rest then remove the toothpicks and slice into pieces and spoon sauce over.
Creamy Mustard Sauce Steps
- Grab a few papertowels and clean out the pan you fried the chicken in. Add in 1 tbsp olive oil and get it on medium heat. Add in the minced shallot and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Now add in the 1 tbsp cassava flour with 1 tbsp of butter. Whisk this for 1-2 minutes to brown it a bit.
- Slowly whisk in the wine then slowly whisk in the almond cream then the bone broth. This should begin to thicken. Once it does, drop the heat to low. Add in the chicken base and the mustard and whisk in. Sprinkle in the parmesan and whisk in until combined. Drop in 1 tbsp of butter and whisk until melted and smooth. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper then spoon over the chicken.
Keywords: chicken cordon bleu,