Cheesy, Meaty, Spaghetti Squash boats that will be a dinner hit!
- 4 small spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 lb sweet italian ground chicken sausage (or sausage with the casing removed)
- 1 lb sweet italian ground pork sausage (or sausage with the casing removed)
- 1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 jar Rao’s arrabbiata sauce, or other arrabbiata sauce
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- garlic powder
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Drizzle the insides of spaghetti squash with some olive oil and spread around with your hands so that they are evenly coated. Season with Salt and Pepper and add to a sheet tray.
- Flip the squash over so that the cut side is down on the tray. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While squash is cooking, heat up a 12 inch pan over medium-high heat. Add a little olive oill then add in the sausage (casings removed if using links) and cook until browned. Remove from the pan reserving the fat in the pan.
- Add in the carrot and onion to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the mushrooms and season with a bit more salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add in the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage back to the pan. Pour in the Rao’s sauce and stir, lower heat and let everything simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Once the squash is done cooking for the 30 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Grab a fork and create the noodles by going back and forth across squash.
- Push noodles to the sides to create some room for the sauce in the middle. Spoon the sausage sauce mixture into each spaghetti squash boat until almost full (not overflowing)
- Sprinkle a layer of mozzarella cheese over each spaghetti squash boat and broil on high for 3-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on these since they brown up fast!
- Could use all chicken or all pork sausage for this.
- Shredded Italian cheese works as well.
- Have fun with the toppings. Add in Peppers, Jalapeños, Tomatoes, etc.