Dont lie…. do you want to take a bite of this? It definitely will have you going in for another bite! The texture of the bubbly cheese, pepperoni, and the squash go together better than pam and jim.Print
Cheesy, Meaty, Spaghetti Squash boats that will be a dinner hit!
- 4 small spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 lb sweet italian ground chicken sausage (or sausage with the casing removed)
- 1 lb sweet italian ground pork sausage (or sausage with the casing removed)
- 1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 jar Rao’s arrabbiata sauce, or other arrabbiata sauce
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- garlic powder
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Drizzle the insides of spaghetti squash with some olive oil and spread around with your hands so that they are evenly coated. Season with Salt and Pepper and add to a sheet tray.
- Flip the squash over so that the cut side is down on the tray. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While squash is cooking, heat up a 12 inch pan over medium-high heat. Add a little olive oill then add in the sausage (casings removed if using links) and cook until browned. Remove from the pan reserving the fat in the pan.
- Add in the carrot and onion to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the mushrooms and season with a bit more salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add in the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage back to the pan. Pour in the Rao’s sauce and stir, lower heat and let everything simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Once the squash is done cooking for the 30 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Grab a fork and create the noodles by going back and forth across squash.
- Push noodles to the sides to create some room for the sauce in the middle. Spoon the sausage sauce mixture into each spaghetti squash boat until almost full (not overflowing)
- Sprinkle a layer of mozzarella cheese over each spaghetti squash boat and broil on high for 3-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on these since they brown up fast!
- Could use all chicken or all pork sausage for this.
- Shredded Italian cheese works as well.
- Have fun with the toppings. Add in Peppers, Jalapeños, Tomatoes, etc.