One of my most favorite things at Olive Garden is there Zuppa Toscana that hits some serious spots every single time! I knew it was my mission in life to come up with a Paleo version that would be even better!
I’m happy to announce I achieved this goal. I used coconut cream to get a gorgeous velvety texture and used some italian sausage and bacon to make this meaty and delicious. The kale adds some nice texture and flavor and this soup will have you coming back for more and more.
Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did! Let’s get to cooking!Print
Super creamy and delicious soup filled with Sausage, Kale, Potatoes, and deliciousness. Slurp it up and smile while enjoying this savory bowl of happiness in soup form.
- 36 oz chicken broth
- 8 oz unsweetened full fat coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, halved, then thinly sliced
- 4 cups packed kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch plus 1 tbsp of water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat on medium and once hot add in the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep the fat in there. Set aside.
- Add in the sausage and cook, breaking it up into little pieces and sautéing. Once browned, add in the carrots and onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until the carrots have softened.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the potatoes, chicken broth, and water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- In a small bowl, mix the arrowroot starch with a tbsp of water and stir to make a slurry. Pour into the soup and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until the soup thickens a bit.
- Add the kale and the cooked bacon to the soup and simmer for a few minutes. Add the coconut milk and stir to combine. Let this simmer for a few more minutes then serve.
- Could grate some Parmesan cheese on top to give this a little ISH.
- Use some spicy italian sausage if you want to up the heat level on the soup.