Ditch the spice packets filled with preservatives for this homemade taco salad! It’s lightened up by using turkey meat and will be your new favorite salad!
Turkey Taco Meat Ingredients:
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced (seeds and stem removed for less spicy)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp potato starch
Spice Mix Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
Creamy Chipotle Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt or greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo, seeds removed and chopped. (only use 2 if you want it less spicy)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
Turkey Taco Salad Steps:
- Grab a small bowl and mix up all of the spice ingredients in it. Set aside.
- Heat a 12 inch pan on medium high. Once hot, add in 1 tbsp of Avocado Oil. Add in the ground turkey and brown the meat. This will take around 6-8 minutes. Remove turkey from pan once browned leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add in the onion and season with salt a nice pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add in the serrano pepper and garlic. Cook for an additional minute.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the turkey back to the pan. Give everything a nice mix. Add in the spice mix and stir so that everything is nicely combined.
- Now add in the tomato sauce and past and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the chicken broth and let this reduce a bit.
- Once slightly reduced, add in the potato starch and stir until thickened. This will happen pretty quick. Once it starts to thicken, reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Add to a bed of mixed greens and toppings of your choice. Spoon over the dressing and enjoy! This would be epic in tacos as well!
Creamy Chipotle Dressing Steps:
- Add all ingredients to a small blender and blend until smooth.
Salad Topping Ideas:
- Lettuce of your choice
- Black Beans
- Tortilla strips
- Pickled onion
- Shredded cheese
Keywords: Taco Salad, Taco Meat