Delicious Paleo Orange Chicken pieces that will knock out any take out cravings that come your way!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicen thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup Otto’s Cassava Flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cold pellagrino or club soda
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, extra oil for frying
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- dash of black pepper
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp Lakanto sweetener brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 2 tbsp water
- Start off by butterflying your chicken thighs if they are thick. Then cut into strips then bite sized pieces. You want them to be a little smaller than chicken nugget size.
- Add chicken pieces to a bowl and set aside.
- Grab a big bowl and add the cassava flour, almond flour, arrowroot powder, salt, white pepper, garlic powder, and black pepper into a sifter and sift into the bowl to combine.
- Once combined, mix with a spoon then add in one beaten egg and 3/4 cup cold pellagrino or any other club soda and lightly whisk until combined (TIP: make sure you dont overmix)
- Add in 2 tbsp of avocado oil to the batter and lightly stir. Add in the chicken pieces and mix up ensuring all pieces are coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once 30 minutes is up, remove bowl from fridge and let sit out for 20-30 minutes to get back to room temp.
- Grab a large dutch oven or pan and heat it up on medium high with 1/2 inch of Avocado oil. Once the oil temp is at 350, work in batches and add the chicken pieces ensuring you aren’t overcrowding the pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes each side then add to a cooling rack with paper towels on top. Once all of the chicken is cooked, set aside and begin the sauce.
- Grab a large non stick pan and drizzle in a little Avocado oil on medium heat.
- Once hot, add in the ginger, garlic, and red pepper flake. Stir up and cook for 2-3 minutes tossing often ensuring you arent burning the garlic or ginger.
- Add in the Lakanto brown sugar and orange zest then mix up and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the orange juice, apple cider vinegar, and the rice wine vinegar. Heat this up until almost boiling.
- Now add in the coconut aminos, srirach sauce, honey, fish sauce and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and slowly add in the slurry mixture and make sure to stir and it will start to thicken. Take off heat once it starts to thicken. (if it gets too thick, slowly add in some water until the desired consistency. You want this to be a maple syrup type consistency.
- Once sauce is down, toss in the chicken pieces and toss nicely so that each piece has a nice layer of sauce.
- for sweetener, you could also use Coconut Sugar instead.
- Serve this with some broccoli and cauliflower rice!